Holiday Tips for Healthy Teeth
Most of us love holiday time. With many people unable to travel this holiday season, it is a great time for busy parents to relax with theirfamily and loved ones.For some, holidays are stressful and challenging. It is important to stay on track with fitness and health routines even on holidays and this includes your looking after your oral health. It is especially easy for children to let their oral care routines slip when on school holidays so it is vital to maintain your daily brushing and flossing routine even with late nights, parties and outings.
- Be mindful of how much sugar you and the children are eating. Most holiday food treats have high levels of sugar and acid. Watch out for chewy treats that stick to your teeth.
- Feed cheese to children and adults as a snack. It helps to restore the PH balance in your mouth.
- If your children have advent calendars, try to choose one without candy or chocolate as the daily surprise.
- Use your teeth as nature intended and don’t open presents and packages with your teeth! The protein in nuts is great for your muscles and bones. But don’t crack nut shells with your teeth!
- When its hot people love to suck on ice-cubes to cool off.Watch out for tooth sensitivity and don’t crunch ice cubes!
- Drink plenty of water and avoid sugary soft drinks. There is lots of acid in prosecco and other alcoholic drinks too!
- Stressed out? Don’t bite your nails. This introduces germs into your mouth and can damage your teeth.
- Wear your masks when out and about and don’t forget to smile!
Holiday time should be a relaxing time, but that doesn’t mean we should relax our oral care routine. Take care of your teeth and schedule regular checkups and cleaning appointments. Contact us if you have any questions. Happy Holidays!
Share this video with your children to remind them to brush their teeth during the holidays!